17 Oct 2011

Questions, Questions, Questions - How long do they take?

Detail of We are lost somewhere - hand cut map


Exhibiting at Origin is a great opportunity to chat to people and get feedback on your work.

People ask a lot of questions and I thought it would be interesting to start a series of posts where I answer some of the most common ones.

The first question and I think the most common, not just for me but other artists as well.

How long does it take to make the work?

This is a difficult question to answer because I don't really know, but that is not really a satisfactory answer.  Time is not really something I think about when making work, I work on something until its finished, that could be 2 hours, 2 weeks or 2 years.  Some pieces resolve themselves quickly and some have to be worked on then left for a while and returned to.  There can be a space of months or even years before some pieces are finally completed.  I also don't time myself when I work, I always think that it would be a good idea but once I start working I forget, because I become so involved in the work time passes without me noticing. 

It would nice to have a neat and tidy answer to this question but making work is not really a neat and tidy process, well not for me anyway!

I would be interested to know if you have any questions you would like me to answer about my work.

2 comments: